

“I do think New Year's resolutions can't technically be expected to begin on New Year's Day, don't you? Since, because it's an extension of New Year's Eve, smokers are already on a smoking roll and cannot be expected to stop abruptly on the stroke of midnight with so much nicotine in the system. Also dieting on New Year's Day isn't a good idea as you can't eat rationally but really need to be free to consume whatever is necessary, moment by moment, in order to ease your hangover. I think it would be much more sensible if resolutions began generally on January the second.”


How do you feel about New Years Resolutions? Friend or Foe?
This week I've been reading a lot of blog posts speaking about this, and there seems to be a 50/50 split. Some people take them very seriously, while others regard them in the same light as emptying the litter box.
I used to be the former. If New Years Resolutions were a subject in school, inside my teacher's grade book there would be a sparkling A next to my name. It isn't even crazy to say that I'd be offering after school tutoring sessions on how to beat your New Years Resolutions into shape. My own teacher would probably be a student of mine.
These days however, probably thanks to burnout, I don't have much use for them. Last year I didn't make any. If I did, I'm sure I forgot all about them by January 2nd.
But this year I started thinking really hard about it. (Insomnia makes me think even more than I usually do, which is saying something as the mind chatter inside my head is neverending). I decided that it doesn't matter what I call them - goals, resolutions, or a healthier lifestyle - and that no one is "positively perfect in every way." We can't all be Mary Poppins. (Actually, scratch that. Mary Poppins has got to be the most imperfect fictional character of all time with a pompous statement like that). There's always room for improvement.
So here's what I came up with, at 4 o'clock in the morning:
- The simple phrase, “Let go.” Stop worrying so much over trivial things. It’s exhausting and a ridiculous waste of perfectly good energy.
- Imperfection is okay, so stop comparing your creative endeavors and yourself to others.
- I know it can feel like climbing Mount Everest without oxygen, but do your best to change your attitude over certain things... especially when it comes to matters that you have absolutely no control over.
- Find a way to better separate yourself from others emotions.
- Finally learn how to play that guitar, and even though you can hardly draw a stick figure please attempt to learn how to draw. You’ve always wanted to possess that talent. While you’ll never be anything like a Beatrix Potter or Tasha Tudor, at least you can feel good that you at least tried. (See Resolution # 2). Effort does count for something.
- Even though I already have several blogs, I would like to create another one elsewhere. A clean slate and anonymity agrees with me.
- Manage that over thinking. It’s okay that it’s nearly impossible to quiet your mind. Just try your best to turn down the volume of your thoughts. If they’re negative, push either the “ignore” or “self destruct” button. If the thoughts are positive ones, embrace them.
- To experience a well-rested night of sleep, force yourself to go to bed before 9 pm.
~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~
Now, I'm not saying that I'm sticking to any of these. I'm just saying that I've tossed the little buggers in the air and understand full well that subscribing to even one of them is a healthy step in the right direction.


I decided to start the New Year by saving a lot of my favorite music on YouTube. After having done that, I've come to the conclusion that I still enjoy the music from my childhood and junior high days the most.
Anyone remember this one? Or was this way before your time?
If so, I beg you to please humor me by keeping that information to yourself.
I'm not a fan of acknowledging chronological age. I like to pretend that I just don't believe in it.Anyhow, this video was only THE COOLEST VIDEO EVER MADE IN THE HISTORY OF NOT ONLY THE WORLD BUT THE UNIVERSE! It was boss back then, and it still is. It's like the Mona Lisa of 80's music videos. It's timeless!

I went with a 'Word of the Year' this time. Something new to me. Good lick with your resolutions - even keeping to a few of them over the course of the year would be progress :) I like your thoughs re imperfection.
ReplyDelete