

"Last night, I dreamt I went to Manderley again. It seemed to me I stood by the iron gate leading to the drive, and for a while I could not enter for the way was barred to me. Then, like all dreamers, I was possessed of a sudden with supernatural powers and passed like a spirit through the barrier before me. The drive wound away in front of me, twisting and turning as it had always done. But as I advanced, I was aware that a change had come upon it. Nature had come into her own again, and little by little had encroached upon the drive with long tenacious fingers, on and on while the poor thread that had once been our drive. And finally, there was Manderley - Manderley - secretive and silent. Time could not mar the perfect symmetry of those walls. Moonlight can play odd tricks upon the fancy, and suddenly it seemed to me that light came from the windows. And then a cloud came upon the moon and hovered an instant like a dark hand before a face. The illusion went with it. I looked upon a desolate shell, with no whisper of a past about its staring walls. We can never go back to Manderley again. That much is certain."
~ "Rebecca" by Daphne du Maurier
~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~
Oh no. The passage above means I've added to my endlessly growing book collection.
I certainly wasn't feeling very festive this 4th of July, and it was one SCORCHER of a day I tell ya! (And not b/c of a heat wave. These temps are the norm around here). Still, we headed over to the antique mall for a "Spectacular" sale which turned out to be a dud. I only bought two books, and those I originally put back on the shelf. ("Rebecca" I've read before, but never owned a copy, and the anthology I bought only because it included Diana Gabaldon). I do wish I had bought this one other book, but at the time I couldn't remember the author and it was getting really hot inside that mall since they have no air conditioning.

After that, we ate at Long John Silvers and then stopped by a few shops in Old Town Spring. Most of our favorite shops were closed for the holiday, and it was VERY hot so we headed back home.
This neighborhood has been popping fireworks for days before the 4th, and even last night they were still at it. I didn't bother watching them, but before bed I finally managed to make myself try out our new HD video camera. (My brother gave it to us recently). Unfortunately, I didn't get to film a thing. The camera was never in focus.
The good thing about the fireworks was that the dogs were used to it. Maddie no longer fears them, Abby quickly accepted them, and Izzy just fussed at them from time to time.

Just a few photos I snapped the other day. The camera kept fogging up, due to the humidity that was a killer that day, so they aren't that great.

(Larger Pic)

(If you click on the larger pic HERE, you can see one of the babies)

(Larger Pic)

And here's video of Wendy enjoying the outdoors a few weeks ago:
And that terrible hail storm with really high winds that almost got us, but didn't do much here thank goodness:
I used our new HD video camera, but for some reason it's uploading the videos very choppy. It shouldn't be doing that, but... I haven't even read the online users guide yet. This is a very high quality camera, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong and my brother will clue me in on it.
By the way, I almost forgot to mention that our baby bluebirds have flown the nest! On the morning of the 4th of July, we discovered that they were gone.
We now have yet another new baby cardinal though. It's just now learning how to fly, so we're having to really watch the dogs when it's in our backyard. They've been really good about leaving it alone when we tell them to.


Here are some videos I found of the 4th of July at Disney World!
Magic Kingdom

Nice Rainshower!
Hollywood Studios

EPCOT

Donald, Goofy, Mickey, Chip and Dale
Lovin' the Grand Finale! I've never seen the fireworks at EPCOT in person before, but they do go all out on their finales for the 4th and NYE.




I FINALLY decided to do something with my other blog.
I know... like I need ANOTHER one which hardly anyone will look at. (Which is fine by me. Less pressure
). That doesn't matter much though, since I really am just doing it for myself. I have it listed in the sidebar now, but you can also just click on the link below.IN MYSTIFICATION
The background wallpaper that I wanted to use soooo baaad wasn't available as a 2- column, so what's up there right now is my second choice. I also keep going back and forth on the headers that I made, but... whatever. I really am just going to post interesting articles that I find about the paranormal, spirituality, archaeology, astronomy, physics, personal experiences, etc.
And FYI, the name of that blog was inspired by a Hallmark movie called "The Love Letter." (Not to be confused with the other movie with the same title). It was a little hokey in parts, but I've always loved it. It's based on the short story by Jack Finney.

After my aunt and her family returned home from vacation earlier than planned, they then decided to drive down to Mackinac Island. Here's one of her photos:

I've always wanted to visit Mackinac, ever since I saw "Somewhere in Time." My sister and her family went about a year ago; either in the summer or spring. They loved it, but said it was freezing.
Well, I guess I'll get back to cleaning the house now. (Poor Abby wants so badly to play outside, but no way! It's 98 degrees out there and I'm worried about mosquitoes). My brother is spending the night this weekend. I really hope Abby will be okay after he goes back home on Sunday.
He and my parents are going to the new dinosaur exhibit at the museum. I'm just not really sure that I want to go. If I did, it'd be to buy some pretty crystals/stones at the gift shop and to see one section of their new dinosaur display. It's fossilized dinosaur skin that you can touch! It was found in someone's backyard in North Dakota.
-
-
In the last video, look at the skin at around 1:33 mark. AMAZING!


Beautiful photos as always Kristen :) And I must say that Rebecca is one of my favourite books! It's lovely to be catching up with all your posts, I've been on a little blogging break!
ReplyDeleteMegan @ Storybook Love Affair
Hello Kristin!
ReplyDeleteI've nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award! Come and take a look!
http://sexta-feira-sexta-feira.blogspot.gr/2012/07/liebster-blog-award-2.html