Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Christmastime Past - November '08


Current Mood: Photobucket

 photo 11-6-12_zps70abcb42.jpg

The other day I decided to look at holiday posts from my old blogs. Feeling nostalgic, I decided to just copy/paste a few entries. I've seen other people do this before, so I figure why not do the same? The first two I'll post below.
As always, they're no biggie and certainly wouldn't win any awards. Photobucket

The first was written exactly four years ago today.

Photobucket

November 6, 2008

Photobucket

Photobucket

Okay --- so I can't hear those bells here in the humid, snowless and sleigh-less state of Texas, but I can envision it elsewhere, thanks to early Christmas commercials for Folgers coffee and Duracell batteries.

Alrighty now, it's happy confession time:

When the department stores start bringing out the shiny tinsel and plastic reindeer in September, I think that's premature and very unfair to Halloween. But... a few days ago - yes, here comes my confession - I set up our Christmas village.

That is to say, our Christmas village which so happens to have the good fortune of not suffering for sleigh rides and children building snowmen on the lawn with the neighborhood kids. (The grass really is greener... err, snowier I mean... even in fictitious towns, isn't it?)

Does putting up the village the first week of November make me a Clark W. Griswold?

 photo 11-6-12_2_zps5332add3.jpg

This year the holiday season will not be filled with nothing save angst in an endless quest to find the perfect Christmas gifts. Photobucket

It's going to be brimming over with classic holiday cartoons like Santa Claus is Coming To Town and A Garfield Christmas. I watch those Christmas specials every year of course, but this time I'm going to sit down with a hot cup of cocoa....... and my cat, Wendy Moira Angela Darling, whom is really fond of Mickey's Christmas Carol........ and really immerse myself in their magic.

Photobucket


(Wendy at our old house, years ago, watching MCC)

Photobucket
(Since I'll be reliving my childhood, I might as well adopt the language, right?)

Photobucket

Note: My cat, Wendy Moira Angela Darling, - yes, she insists on me typing out her full name. She's spoiled and a diva, what can I say? - wants it known that she also loves 'Twas The Night Before Christmas.

Hmm......... I'm sensing a theme here, my Kitty Princess.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

November 10, 2008

Photobucket

Photobucket

.... about rain, don’t you?

It's wet.

It's wet and slippery, ruins your brand new pair of pristine white walking shoes, and invites a parade of flying insects inside your house for the cats to torment and play with.

Worst of all, it makes a girl wish for snow! (Yeah, right. Like that's going to happen in the next 15 years Photobucket). But November rain...... hey, isn't that a song from the 90's?..... didn't stop this gal and her Mom from shopping today.

Not-so-fun fact: I'm sure that elsewhere, rain in November is cold and dreary and quite possibly turns into the white stuff that can construct Frosty-the-Snowman again. You might even be able to perform miracles by bringing said snowman back to life... but only if you could find Professor Hinkle's magical silk hat!

Photobucket

But here in Spring (not the season, but the town), rain is not only a hazard to your hair, but is so icky and warm that it sticks to your skin like flies to flypaper.

Regardless of the weather, we stepped out that door. The rain came in lull's all day, so the umbrella was mainly used as batting practice on the mosquitoes.

At Garden Ridge we bought a pre-lit tree for the big Christmas window display, some ornaments for the new miniature tree, and then more little trees... am I sensing a theme here?...... for our BEAUTIFUL Christmas village. (I'll try to add pics or video of our village sometime later this week. I'm still looking for a little pond to put under the bridge).

Very little Christmas stuff is up right now. Usually not one decoration is put up until the day after Thanksgiving, but this year we're doing things differently. We have so many decorations that putting them all up in a rush can be very exhausting. By the end of it all, we're so worn out that we start feeling a kinship with Burgermeister Meisterburger.

Photobucket

Photobucket

So we're getting into the Christmas spirit earlier this year, and so far it's working nicely.
The only bad news there is that I haven't bought even one Christmas present yet.

You don't have to tell me, I know. That "Big Eastern Syndicate" Lucy spoke of to Charlie Brown is very disappointed in my laziness. I'm sure I'll make up for it before December 25th.

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Love your snow, you are definitely getting a jump on Christmas! Happy to see you used my candy cane reindeer pin at the top of your post, I love that picture ... so cute. That video is wonderful! Our kitties love cartoons, something about the bright images and the movement. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered your Pinterest boards recently, and I gotta say... yours is one of the best around. I subscribed to ALL of them, and I don't easily subscribe to Pinterest boards.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE receiving comments on my blog(s), but I do have one simple rule:

- SPAM will be deleted immediately. If I see any, my magic wand here will carry you off to the hungry crocodile with a taste for ticking clocks and a certain captain with a shiny hooked hand.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.