
BREAKING NEWSFLASH!!!!

MY 15 YEAR OLD NIECE JUST MADE DRUM MAJOR!!!!!!!
She broke the school's record, as she's the youngest drum major they've ever had. This is the end of her Freshman year for cripe's sake! She's going to be the first sophomore drum major in her school. (Her grandfather was drum major in HS, too. I guess marching band runs in their DNA).
She is so excited and frightened at the same time. She was so brave to even try out when still so young. That's how badly she wanted this.
Her big brother... now Drill Instructor/Director of the Brass section... was a great comfort to her at the band banquet. Those two are like twins, I swear. I heard that when Autumn's name was announced as winning drum major, Luke immediately ran up to her and hugged her for dear life. He kept telling her how proud he is, and that he'll always be there to support her. Then later, amidst all the congratulations, I think Autumn started feeling a little overwhelmed so she dragged her brother to stand next to her.
The two of them are so close, and that support goes both ways. You really would think they were twins or something. I find that so sweet and endearing.

Sorry ladies, but this handsome Nephew-O-Mine already has his own Lady Love.
Oh! Autumn also received the Director's Award and was told that she's now "the new face" of their band. (Their band won State this year, by the way. How awesome is that?! She's the youngest drum major in their school EVER, and she's directing the STATE champions. I just hope she understands that she's not all alone up there, and to remember to have fun).
A couple photos were just uploaded online. Here's one of her, which I'm guessing is from tonight. Isn't she a pretty, classy young lady? (She's HILARIOUS, too. So, so, soooo funny. No one makes me laugh the way Autumn does).

The next two photos are also cropped - for other's privacy - and are thumbnails you'll have to click on to view.

Okay, I might babble about all this later. I'm too freaked out just now to type sentences that don't sound like something that came out of a Dr. Seuss book. Even on her Facebook page, all I could say was:
"Ahh, yeeessss Autumn. We are very proud of you girl! I don't think Mom or I are going to sleep tonight. When we heard that you made it, we became so excited that the dogs joined our celebration. Mom and I screamed and nearly peed our pants, and the dogs barked and.... well let's hope they didn't pee on the bed. (((HUGS))) We love you!"
Yeah... not very poetic, but I was just so gosh darn excited! My nephew's words on Facebook were much more poignant:
"New DI right here! AND, best of all my little sister as a DRUM MAJOR! Couldn't be happier!"
I'm also VERY excited and proud for my nephew. So proud. I certainly don't want to sound as if his achievement isn't just as special to me. Even if he read this bragging post (and the one's to follow), I know he'd understand my excitement for his baby sister because, quite frankly... he's feeling exactly the same way.
But I would have given anything to have seen the both of them tonight. This was a big milestone evening for them, and I'm sorry I missed it. I want to give them each the biggest bear hug that's in me, but I'm afraid that will have to wait until the holidays.


Hi Kristin,
ReplyDeleteWow! Congratulations to your niece! This is huge, as you said. My mom, many moons ago AND in a SMALL town made drum major early and also made it into the big league cheerleading group. It is a wonderful thing. Bonus is big brother being there for her.
I read info about your "Castle in Scotland". When looking up some maps of Ireland and Scotland for a piece I was painting, I found out that my father's clan actually has an entire large area named for them.
Say, you may like listening to Loreena McKinnitt.
Thank You for visiting me! Go ______<----your niece and nephews school name/cheer thing :)
With Kindness,
Mary