

Warning:
If anyone is reading this, be forewarned that it will not be a happy Christmasy post. I rarely do this, but I just really need to air out my thoughts.
I've been growing more and more upset over this tragedy. I've been keeping it to myself, of course. It is Christmastime, and I still want to rejoice in that. I'm just really tired of pretending.
For the first time I had a hard cry last night, and then another one earlier this evening. Luckily, my sweet little Abigail ran up to me with her tail wagging. I scooped her up and she kissed away my tears.
We're going to be having company over again this week, so tomorrow there's a lot of house cleaning that needs to be done that can serve as a distraction.
And I tried that today. My mother and I went to the movies to see The Hobbit. Visiting Middle Earth again was nice, but during the entire 3 hour movie all those innocent little first graders were in my thoughts. The children... the adults that tried protecting them and were killed themselves... the families of the victims... all those young students that heard and saw the most despicable evil ever to exist. How will they cope with what happened? After going through such a horrific experience, how can they hold on to a shred of innocence? I would think that's all gone now. How can they even be excited about Santa and Christmas? How can they believe in anything magical?
I just find it unfathomable that any human being could carry out such calculated evil!
Also, from being at the movies today, my thoughts were also directed towards all those people that were killed in the theater recently. It's a miracle anyone walks out their front door. Even last night I was flipping channels on the tv when a commercial came on for the news and they mentioned how gun shots were just fired outside another Randall's store.
I sometimes think that this planet really must be the insane asylum of The Universe.
And in thinking about what happened in that school... that so easily could have happened in any school. What I mean by that is this: What happened to those children and the people working there could have taken place in my sister's own classroom. (She teaches Elementary). It even could have happened in the school I substitute teach at. (I can only pray that if a school I was subbing in had a similar scenario, I would be able to protect the students that I was responsible for that day).
Working in a junior high, I've always known that something like this could happen. Creepily enough, this year something like this has been on my mind. For the first time ever I even printed out the school's safety procedures on what to do if ever there's a lock down and intruder. I keep it tucked inside the folder that I bring with me when I have work that day.
When lock down's and threats occur in Junior High and High School, while they're frightening they're not such a huge shock. Not after the tragedy at Columbine.
But NEVER would anyone expect this to happen in an elementary school.
Okay--- I'm gonna stop typing now. Even though my blog is no biggie and small, I know I should be posting all manner of Christmas photos and decorations and my review of The Hobbit... just everyday things... but the truth of the matter is I just don't give a damn about any of that.

Kristin, I have read your last couple of posts and I agree with you. This is a turning point for our country. We need to do the things you have said, limit the types of weapons we make available to people and help those in need find mental health care. It shouldn't be easier and cheaper to buy a gun than to find and afford good mental health care. After a few days break and feeling horrible about what has happened I am starting to try to return to a more normal routine. The poor people in Newtown will continue to endure heartache for months and years to come. All we can do is try to bring about change so that this never happens to anyone else.
ReplyDeleteBlessings to You
Kristen, I left you a previous comment, and I just couldn't pass this one by... I have just recently posted on the atrocities of the world too, how timely, the true meaning of kindred spirits (as I said to you previously, we appear to be a lot alike)... I worry about future generations, wonder why the minds of others are focused on "hatred", wish I could do something to change it... are people just angrier, is it just because technology makes it easier to learn about all the things going on everywhere and thus it is overwhelming, whereas before technology we all may have lived in ignorance... I don't know, but I worry about our world... Cheers.
ReplyDelete