Tuesday, November 15, 2011

"Once Upon A Time" Ramblings

Current Mood: Photobucket

Photobucket

Let's talk 'Once Upon A Time!' Photobucket

First of all, I love this show even though it has it's flaws. I really liked the episode when "Charming" (aka James) woke from his coma. I wish they had concentrated again on that storyline this week, but noooo... they just had to screw that up by showing us Cinderella's predictable story Sunday night.

The episode was titled "The Price of Gold," and to me it was a snooze fest. I didn't like the actress that played Cinderella much, but her prince....... BAD ACTOR! Seriously, this guy was more wooden than Pinocchio when he was still a puppet. I really, really hope they don't use this guy much. The bad acting was incredibly distracting. What were they thinking when they hired him? A cardboard box has more dimension than this guy. In that one scene I was actually hoping he would fall down that well, all the while feeling glad that Lassie isn't a fairytale character because I sure as heck didn't want this guy being rescued for more screen time.

Prince Charming on the other hand is beginning to grow on me. In the beginning, I thought he was just 'Meh, whatever.' While he wasn't in this latest episode much, I liked him a lot more. At least he feels like a real prince. I actually wish I hadn't erased this latest episode from the dvr, just because of him. (All the other episodes I never erased).

My favorite of the menfolk though would have to be Sheriff Graham. (No surprise there). I don't think any of these men are anything spectacular in the eye candy department, but this guy's Irish accent helps him out a lot. Photobucket I also like that he's still a mystery character. I mean, who is he?

My first instinct was that he's the bad wolf, but then on Facebook someone mentioned how the doctor which Snow White had the date with at the diner was eyeing Red Riding Hood. The man was practically licking his chops, so I think their theory is correct.

Photobucket

Next, I thought surely he was The Huntsman. He works for Regina/evil queen/mayor after all, and we are getting a good/bad vibe with him anyway. We trust him one second, but then we see that he's having erhm... 'Saturday city board meetings' with the EQ. And while The Huntsman did work for the queen, in the end he had a conscience... which I think we have seen in the sheriff already.

But then I thought maybe he isn't The Huntsman. What if he truly is a sheriff in the fairytale realm? What if he's the Sheriff of Nottingham? (Which is what Mom told me she's believed all along).

And little Henry... people are so mean about this kid! Give him a break. His adoptive mother is the evil queen for cripe's sake. She goes around poisoning apples, murdering her own father whom she "loves," and then unleashes the darkest curse of all on an entire world; herself included. She is one f--- up individual, and Henry has to sleep under the same roof as her while trying to convince all the knucklehead adults and kids around him that they're not in Kansas anymore. Photobucket Until Emma arrived, time stood still for these people. The children and adults all haven't aged for close to 30 years, and they're completely in the dark. They had no clue. Cinderella herself was pregnant for around 28 years! (Remember, time stopped until Henry brought Emma into town. After time started up again, so did her pregnancy). It isn't any wonder Henry knew something was up, since he's the ONLY person in that town who has been aging all this time.

Oh! One thing that does bug me about this series is something my mother asked the other day: "Does Rumpelstiltskin have his finger in every pie?"

Photobucket

Lord, I hope not as I am already growing tired of his obsession with first born daughters and magic contracts. (And how STUPID was Emma to make a deal with him? She fell into the exact same trap as Cinderella). Besides, there are plenty of evil characters in these fables to choose from. I hope the producers and writers don't only focus on Rumpelstiltskin and Regina as the antagonists.

And then there's Regina (Evil Queen) again. Does she really know about the curse now? That one commercial a couple weeks ago implied without question that she remembers, but I don't see how she could be clueless all this time and then one simple "Please" from Rumpelstiltskin brought it all back to the fore of her consciousness.

Photobucket
I would imagine Rump never forgot because the curse originated with him? It was HIS curse, so surely he protected himself from it somehow.

One exciting thing is that they ARE going to have Belle and the Beast!!!!!! Photobucket Belle is going to be played by the actress that played Claire in Lost. They haven't announced their Beast yet, but HE HAD BETTER BE GOOD!!!!! No wimpy, bland, short, skinny-minny, bad actors please. He has to have a lot of PRESENCE and a real bad boy vibe. Seriously, they had better not screw this up because The Beast is my favorite and let's be honest here--- the prince's in these stories never did possess much personality.

Photobucket

They just fit a mold of what a prince should embody: Material status... honorable... gentlemanly... the warriors rescuing their one true love/damsel in distress from the clutches of evil. They're 1-dimensional cookie cutter people, but THE BEAST is nothing like that. He has actual character in his own right. He is (or was, depending on the timeline) a tortured soul.

Photobucket

Ahh, let's face it. Belle and the Beast need their own spin off series. It's time for another one, but not one set in modern times like the one which aired back in the 80's. I haven't seen that entire series, but I wasn't a big fan of it. I loved The Beast a lot, but I didn't care for Belle being replaced with this Katherine character and for the whole NYC modern day setting. If it isn't broke, please don't attempt to "fix" it.

I just hope that in 'Once Upon a Time' they don't call him something stupid, like "Barnaby" or "Ferdinand." Photobucket I am worried about what they'll call him, as they already butchered the "Prince Charming" name. I'm still very annoyed by that.

I understand that this isn't supposed to echo the Disney movies exactly, but come on... it's airing on ABC, which is owned by Disney. Also, everyone knows Cinderella's prince as "Prince Charming" and Snow White's prince as "The Prince." I can understand giving them actual names, as they don't have any in the movies or fables, but purposely giving SW's prince Cinderella's prince's name is just wrong.

It's distracting to the extreme if you already know this little bit of trivia, and if one didn't know about this now.... they would definitely find it distracting after watching Cinderella for themselves. I mean, this is exactly like trading the names of the princesses. What if they called Cinderella "Ariel," and Snow White "Belle?"

I shudder at the thought. It makes the evil curse look like child's play.

Photobucket


1 comment:

  1. Hello, Kristin
    I have not had the time to watch 'Once Upon A Time' but my sister has and she said it was quite good. I like your 'review' even if I haven't had the opportunity to watch 'OUAT'. Hmmm...maybe if I remove the 'A' I would be saying that I hadn't had the opportunity to watch 'OUT'! Just a play on words... I do like fairy tales and the original Beauty and the Beast fairy tale of long ago was one of my favorite childhood stories to read. And I do believe it was a black rose in the original story, but I have never found the copy I read as a child and the rose is what started out the whole scenario with the beast. Lucky beast in the end, though... 'Beautiful girl turns beast into handsome prince.'
    Take care,
    Teresa in CA

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE receiving comments on my blog(s), but I do have one simple rule:

- SPAM will be deleted immediately. If I see any, my magic wand here will carry you off to the hungry crocodile with a taste for ticking clocks and a certain captain with a shiny hooked hand.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.