Saturday, February 4, 2012

Wanted: Haunted Seaside Cottage


Current Mood: Photobucket

Photobucket

"In 1900, a young widow finds her seaside cottage is haunted... and forms a unique relationship with the ghost."

- IMDB

Photobucket

My favorite movie of all time is the 1947 classic “The Ghost & Mrs. Muir,” starring Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison.

If you have never seen this film, PLEASE be sure to watch it when there will be no interruptions. I would also recommend watching it late at night. There is such a uniqueness and otherworldly charm with this movie that watching it in a peaceful, quiet atmosphere is absolutely key. (Besides, aren't all the old black-and-white classics best when watched with all the lights off?)

You will not regret seeing this gem. The storyline is beautiful, and Lucy's home by the sea (Gull Cottage) is equally as gorgeous. And then there's Bernard Hermann's music score... BREATHTAKING! Pardon the pun, but it really is haunting. There's no other word to describe it.



Everything about this film is a masterpiece. The only thing that I didn't like (and I know I'm not alone here) was when George Sander's character butted in on Captain Gregg and Lucy's budding romance.

Okay, I'm gonna have to stop rambling right there. Otherwise, I'd start posting spoilers which I really don't want to do.

To see pictures of Gull Cottage from the movie, click HERE

Photobucket

Photobucket

Isn't this interesting? Look at the physical similarities here between Gerry and The Captain. Be sure to click on the picture to enlarge it.

Photobucket

Just FYI - The painting of The Captain can also be seen in the Jimmy Stewart movie, "Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation." That movie was also set on a beach... although the house isn't quite so romantic. Photobucket

Photobucket

Back to what I originally intended for this post to be about.

Over the past couple of weeks one of my long-time wishes came true, thanks to the wonderful world of YouTube. What I'm speaking of is "The Ghost & Mrs. Muir" tv series, of course! I've never seen it, and always wanted to. The series was made in the 60's, and is very different from the movie.



While the movie is superior, the series is fun. Both are rarities when you compare them to the kind of "entertainment" we find on tv and in movie theaters nowadays. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

I DEFINITELY recommend seeing the movie before the tv series. I can't stress that enough. The movie is the original, and it's bittersweet and romantic. The tv series is comedy, with little sprinklings of romance every now and then. Blink, and you might miss it. I also have to say that the captain in the series was a nice surprise. I really liked him and thought he fit into the role very well.

To see pictures of Gull Cottage from the tv series, click HERE

I wonder if someone ever bought the place after it was put on the market? It's such a beautiful house.

Photobucket

Love Quote of the Day:
Photobucket
Photobucket


1 comment:

  1. I love the old black & white movies! I'll see if the library has this one!!!
    Thanks & Happy Weekend!
    ~ Zuzu

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE receiving comments on my blog(s), but I do have one simple rule:

- SPAM will be deleted immediately. If I see any, my magic wand here will carry you off to the hungry crocodile with a taste for ticking clocks and a certain captain with a shiny hooked hand.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.