Saturday, December 31, 2011

Goodbye 2011


Current Mood: Photobucket

Photobucket

First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY Uncle John! Photobucket

Think I'll be heading for bed before midnight this NYE. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but NYE is kind of a depressing day for me. It's sort of like the day after Christmas.

Not sure I can sleep though, with all these fireworks popping outside my window. This has been going on every night since Christmas Eve. I just hope no one's house catches on fire.

Photobucket

Okay, all these fireworks are too loud to even contemplate going to bed early. Instead, I got on the exercise bike and watched "Rudolph's Shiny New Year."

So sad. Photobucket



Photobucket

UPDATE:

Here's one video of the fireworks at midnight. The camera didn't pick it up so well, but it was LOUD out there. Some of these fireworks were in the circle across from us. Very, very, veeery close.



What's frightening is that at one time a bunch of fireworks were carried by the wind, and exploded like crazy in the yard of the house across the street from them.

In THE YARD which is covered with PINE NEEDLES. (Pine needles are everywhere around here, so fireworks on holidays can be frightening. The trees could catch fire so easily. One year I was sitting in my backyard when a stray ember floated right in front of me. It was literally inches away from my face).

One firecracker was even carried by the wind and on to the main road, just as a cop drove past. Unfortunately, all the cop did was flash his lights at them.

I can't believe people do this. Do they have any idea how stupid it is with all these tall pine trees and mounds of pine needles covering the ground and in the gutters? And WHY would you have your own children out there, too? Why risk 3rd degree burns? Why risk one of those explosives straying in front of a passing car? And WHY don't they realize that it isn't exactly wise to pop firecrackers next to a bunch of cars anyway? Hello?! Gas tanks, people. I bet these are the same people that use cell phones and light cigarettes next to the gas pumps at service stations.

I never could endanger people's lives like that. Children just a few feet away... pets... people innocently sleeping in their beds. All it takes is one tiny little spark. (Thank goodness this neighborhood listened to reason this past 4th of July, during the drought).

Fireworks really need to be banned in all neighborhoods. It didn't take long for me to hear the first fire truck of the evening. I actually stayed out there with the camera a while longer than intended. If someone's house DID catch fire, at least I'd have a video to prove who did it. Seeing those firecrackers popping in that person's yard really freaked me out. It was so scary. (By the way, they were the kind of explosives that pop on the ground).

Photobucket


1 comment:

  1. I don't understand the whole fireworks thing, either. We have some neighbors who set them off on every holiday. I don't get it. I've found them on my lawn which makes me a very unhappy person!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE receiving comments on my blog(s), but I do have one simple rule:

- SPAM will be deleted immediately. If I see any, my magic wand here will carry you off to the hungry crocodile with a taste for ticking clocks and a certain captain with a shiny hooked hand.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.