Friday, March 2, 2012

My Thoughts on Pinterest


Current Mood: Photobucket

Photobucket

There’s been a lot of informative talk about Pinterest lately. Things we’ve learned and so forth. I joined Pinterest not long ago… after waiting for what might have been a light year if not for someone’s generosity in inviting me… and I was hooked from the get-go. As a matter of fact, I’m still hooked and think of that place as a candy store. I pinned a few things in the beginning…. (oh the JOY I felt at how my favorite photos and blogs could be categorized like that!)…. and I always linked to the original source. Only a few times did I think I linked to the original source, via Tumblr, but then recently realized that Tumblr is pretty much just another Pinterest and that those photos weren‘t necessarily taken by the user which posted them.

Upon discovering this, I’ve opted to either delete my account entirely (which would make my blog ugly as sin with nothing but broken images) or just “repin” instead and not pin anything myself at all.

I know that technically, once anyone posts anything online... writing, photography, art, etc.... it's considered published material and is now in the public domain for people to do with it what they will. I'd like to think the best of people, but there are some immoral folks out there. (For example, my brother composed a song when he was 16 and some loser kid stole it, uploaded it to his site, and then claimed that it was all his own creation. Lucky for the thief, my brother let it slide as he's the creative type where once a project is done he completely detaches himself from it. Myself... I'm still seething over it). I just think it's important for people to be reminded of that fact and to be careful. If you put it out there, you're taking a risk by your own hand.

Still, I do believe Pinterest is a GREAT free advertising tool for all the blogs and artsy types out there. I’m living proof of that, since probably at least half the blogs I follow I was led to because people had pinned some b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l photos there which led me to the photo‘s original source/blog. If a person is impressed enough to share what gems they find, and they don't profit in any way, I personally can't see the harm. If anything, it could work to their advantage. Not only could it increase your blog traffic, but if you sell any of your art in an online shop Pinterest is quite possibly sending a flock of new customers your way.

And let’s be honest: Not all of us have fancy cameras or even the talent to take breathtaking photographs to post on our blogs in the first place, so I know I speak for a lot of people when I say that that’s why Pinterest is so gosh darn popular.

Anyway, the purpose of this post isn’t just to babble. Reading others thoughts on Pinterest this week, I just want it known that if you see a photograph on here (whether it belongs to you or not) that isn’t properly linked, PLEASE let me know. I know I’ve been good about linking to the original source whenever I pinned anything myself, but if you do happen to see an error on my part… please tell me! Likewise, if it's your photo and you just don't want it shared at all - whether I pinned it myself or not - kindly let me know.

I promise I won’t bite. Photobucket

I won’t bite, and I won’t be offended. I’m as human as anybody else reading this, and mistakes do happen. Even if it’s a photo I’ve linked from someone else’s Pinterest board, and you’ve noticed the link they posted is not original….. please either copy/paste the correct link on Pinterest yourself or share it with me so that I can change it myself. I have done that a few times already; correcting an incorrect link. I confess that I did feel a tad picky or snooty for doing that, but at the end of the day I knew it was the right thing to do. I'm a follow-the-rules kind of gal. (It's probably a Southern thing).

Now, if I ever do get an awesome camera and discover some latent talent via photography… feel free to pin my images. I’d be flattered, and it’d be nice “meeting” any new blog friends which might come my way thanks to a photo of mine being linked to that lovely world of Pinterest.

Wow... I can't believe I babbled so much. Obviously, I have nothing to talk about (to my audience of about 3?) and shouldn't have had that second cup of java tonight. I do feel like I've been hooked up to a grid.

UPDATE: I decided to just delete most of my Pinterest boards. I'm regretting it already.

But if anyone wants an invite, click on THIS past post of mine for details.

Photobucket


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Kristen I haven't even gone into the amount of thought that you have regarding photos and Pinterest etc. I've just recently discovered it too and am HOOKED big time!! I love it! I even want to do a post about it. To be honest I haven't really thought about where the original photos come from... I guess it's just become so common to source images etc via Google. I think it would be really hard to track down the correct source for a lot of photos, especially on a platform like Pinterest.

    Interesting post you've written here, I really enjoyed reading your thoughts and you're a great writer.

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a tricky thing isn't it? I'm not sure what to do myself. I do know I have to spend some time with my boards and see whether I've linked to the right blog/person. I'm not sure I always have as I sometimes repin.

    What to do?

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE receiving comments on my blog(s), but I do have one simple rule:

- SPAM will be deleted immediately. If I see any, my magic wand here will carry you off to the hungry crocodile with a taste for ticking clocks and a certain captain with a shiny hooked hand.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.